Getting a well-constructed cover letter into the hands of a hiring manager is a key part of landing a great job in an IT post. Assembling an effective, well-written cover letter can be a daunting task, but there are thankfully a variety of ways to make this process easier. The following sample was created using our cover letter software.
Table of Contents
- Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter Sample (Image)
- Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter (Text Format)
- Tips for Writing Your Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter
1. Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter Sample & Resume (Image)
The following images show an Information Technology (IT) cover letter, and its matching resume from the same applicant. This particular candidate is someone with experience as an IT consultant and support analyst, but can still be used as a template for even a fresh-out-of-college graduate.
Download this cover letter for free as an MS Word file.
Looking for positions outside the realm of IT? We’ve compiled a cover letter example database for you to browse.
2. Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter (Text Format)
341 Company Address
Palo Alto, California, 94301
Dear [Hiring Manager’s Name],
Recently my former colleague was hired by [Target Company] as a member of the IT Department, and said that [Target Company] was looking for additional members to join their team. [Target Company] has a reputation of being an excellent place to work, as well as being a place to challenge people well-versed in IT. I thrive under pressure and embrace new challenges, and think I would make a great addition to the company.
Working in IT requires both technical knowledge and the ability to concisely communicate with people. As an IT Support Analyst for Bain Consultants, I was frequently engaged in software support for our clients, who I promptly and efficiently helped with a diverse array of problems. I also assisted in implementing a new program that streamlined service tickets, further boosting our Resolution Rate by 15%. In my current IT Consultant role, I’ve successfully headed numerous projects with budgets exceeding $2 million, while simultaneously providing topflight tech support and infrastructure maintenance.
[Target Company] aspires to boost efficiency in their IT department. I have a track record of doing so, and would be ecstatic to add my experience to the team. Regardless of my role on [Target Company]’s IT staff, I am excited at the opportunity to get on board and help achieve any short-term and long-term goals.
I would love the opportunity to come in for an interview and further discuss how I can immediately contribute to the company. Please contact me at [PHONE] or via email at [EMAIL] so we can arrange a suitable time to meet. Thank you for your consideration, I look forward to hearing back from you.
3. 4 Tips for Writing Your Information Technology (IT) Cover Letter
1. Avoid jargon overload. Your resume is the ideal place to outline your specific accomplishments and relevant competencies. Instead, use your cover letter to show how these skills could be applied at your new company.
Even if your computer skills are outstanding, don’t forget that people skills are also critically important.
2. Let numbers tell the story. If possible, use concrete statistics to reveal how you improved an area of tech support or increased overall efficiency while working at your previous job. Many hiring managers are looking at these numbers to assess your potential value to the company, so be sure to include them.
3. Examples are a valuable ally. Instead of describing yourself as a “problem solver”, illustrate your problem-solving capabilities with a concise case where you faced a challenge and handled it effectively.
4. Highlight your “team player” attitude. Working in IT requires technical savvy, but it also entails working closely with people who have a very rudimentary understanding of the technology they use every day. Even if your computer skills are outstanding, don’t forget that people skills are also critically important.
IT cover letter
Is your job search experiencing some downtime? Reboot it! View this sample cover letter for IT, or download the IT cover letter template in Word.
As an IT specialist, you’re in high demand, so make sure you put your best foot forward in the job search process. Your cover letter should demonstrate your skills and experience, as well as your passion for your work. To be considered for top IT jobs, it helps to have a well-crafted cover letter. For writing tips, view this sample cover letter for IT, or download the IT cover letter template in Word.
Additionally, you can learn about technology careers and search for IT jobs on Monster.
IT cover letter template
Sometown, DE 55555 | (555) 555-5555 | firstname.lastname@example.org
July 27, 2017
Mr. Thomas Jones
15 Elm Street
Sometown, DE 55555
Re: IT Helpdesk Technician, Advertised on Monster
Dear Mr. Jones:
I am interested in joining your tier 1 helpdesk team. A longtime fan of ABC Corp’s commitment to customer service, I bring to the table a strong customer service mindset combined with technical skills honed throughout my 15 years of helpdesk experience.
Key strengths include:
- High-volume ticket management. In my current position as helpdesk support specialist for XYZ Co, I handle 1,725+ tickets per month, fully resolving and documenting issues for future reference.
- A track record of consistently meeting or exceeding performance targets correlated with call handling and customer satisfaction goals.
- Technical knowledge:
- Windows (all versions); Windows Server 2003, 2008 R2 and 2012; macOS; Unix
- Microsoft Active Directory Services
- LAN, WAN and WiFi network technology (DNS, DHCP, NTP, SNMP and Nagios)
- MS Office 365/Exchange
- Recognition for exceptional service delivery through “ACE Team Member” awards.
Mr. Jones, if you are seeking an experienced, tech-savvy and customer service-oriented helpdesk technician with the proven ability to establish excellent relationships with customers, employees, vendors and manufacturers, we should speak.
I look forward to learning more about this position and can be reached at (555) 555-5555 or email@example.com. Thank you for your time.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.