Reassignment Of Title Or Assignment Of Title By Registered Owner

How to Complete a Utah Vehicle Title Transfer:
  1. Make sure the seller completes the title assignment on the title certificate, and provides you with a bill of sale and odometer disclosure (if applicable).
  2. Complete the vehicle title application form.
  3. Provide proof of vehicle safety/emissions inspection, if applicable.
  4. Submit the above with payment for titling fees and sales tax to the DMV.

Keep reading for more detailed information about title transfers in Utah.

New-to-State Title Transfers

After you have completed your move to Utah, you can transfer your out-of-state vehicle title by submitting the following to the Utah Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV):

  • The title certificate from your previous state.
    • If you are paying a car loan and have a lien hold on your car, you can use your current out-of-state registration to register your car without applying for a Utah title certificate. You may also have to provide your lender's information (name and address).
  • A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • Proof of required inspections:
    • Safety and/or emissions inspection certificate (if applicable).
    • Vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.
  • If the car is being leased, submit the following from your lessor:
    • Power of attorney.
    • Billing statement.
    • Utah sales tax number.
  • Payment for required title fees.

Buying or Selling a Car in Utah

Buying from Dealers

Typically, when you purchase a vehicle from a dealership, your dealer will handle all title and registration paperwork. Additionally, you can expect the dealer to collect any titling fees and sales tax as part of the transaction.

Buying from a Private Seller

To complete a vehicle title transfer, after purchasing a car from a private seller, submit the following to your local Utah DMV office:

Selling a Vehicle in Utah

It is the buyer's responsibility to complete a title transfer. However, when you sell a car, you must provide the buyer with the following:

You should also keep the license plates, as well as notify the DMV in writing about the sale. Include the following in the notification:

  • The car's:
    • Make.
    • Model.
    • Year.
    • Plate number or VIN.
  • Your signature.

You can submit this notification:

  • By mail to:
    • Division of Motor Vehicles
    • Suspended Transaction Unit
    • P.O. Box 30412
    • Salt Lake City, UT 84130
  • By fax to: (801) 297-3570.

Transferring Non-Titled Vehicles

If you are purchasing a car for which no title is available (usually older cars), you can apply for a title by submitting the following to your local Division of Motor Vehicles office location:

  • A completed Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656).
  • A completed Ownership Statement (Form TC-569A), which MUST INCLUDE:
    • An explanation of why the car does not have a title or current registration from a non-title state.
    • How you obtained the car.
    • The name of the person from whom you obtained the car.
    • A statement of any existing liens (if applicable).
    • A statement of any previous titles or registrations.
    • Detailed description of the vehicle's condition.
    • Any other relevant information regarding your possession of the car.
  • Bill of Sale (Form TC-843) and any other release of ownership documents.
  • Receipts for repairs (if available).
  • VIN inspection (unless the car has a current Utah registration).
  • Pictures of the exterior and interior of the car taken from all angles.

Gifted, Donated & Inherited Vehicles

The steps for completing a UT car title transfer of a gifted, donated, or inherited vehicle, may differ depending on the situation. Most are likely very similar to the process for buying or selling a Utah vehicle.

Contact the Utah DMV for specific information regarding your situation.

Removing a Lien

After you have completely paid off your car loan, your lender should release the lien on your car and send you the title certificate.

For complete details on lien releases, contact the Utah DMV.

UT Title Transfer Fees

The following are the basic Utah title transfer fees:

  • Title fee: $6.
  • Duplicate title: $6.
  • Correction or name change titling fee: $6.
  • Sales tax: Varies by city.

Duplicate Utah Titles

You can replace your lost title certificate by submitting a Vehicle Application for Utah Duplicate Title (Form TC-123), along with payment for the duplicate title fee.

You can also use the form to assign a title to a new owner.

Changing Title Information

If you need to add, remove, or change a name on your Utah title certificate, you will need to complete and submit a Vehicle Application for Utah Title (Form TC-656). Additionally, you will need to pay the vehicle titling fee.

How to Complete a Title Transfer in Alabama:
  1. Have the seller complete the title assignment on the title certificate.
  2. Obtain a bill of sale from the seller.
  3. Bring the above, plus payment for the title fees, to your county license plate issuing office.

Continue reading to learn more details about titling and title transfers in Alabama.

In Alabama, vehicles at least 35 model years old must be titled with the Alabama Department of Revenue's Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). You can find information below on how to title your car or complete a transfer of ownership in Alabama.

How to do a New-to-State Title Transfers

If you have recently moved to Alabama, you can apply for an Alabama vehicle title by bringing your current out-of-state title to your county license plate issuing office. Be prepared to pay an auto title transfer fee.

If your previous state was not required to issue a title for your car, you can bring in the vehicle registration certificate as proof of ownership.

When applying for an Alabama title, have your vehicle with you, as it may be subject to a vehicle identification number (VIN) inspection.

Lien Holds

If you are currently making payments on a car loan, your vehicle will have a lien hold against it. The MVD will not issue titles to vehicles with lien holds, if the title was issued to the lienholder.

However, you can register your carwithout getting an Alabama title by bringing a copy of your title certificate to a license plate issuing office.

If your car has a lien hold against it, and your previous state issued the title to you, Alabama will issue you a title. Bring your title certificate to a license plate issuing office to begin your Alabama vehicle title transfer application.

NOTE: If your car was originally titled in any of the following states and your lienholder has the title, you must provide the MVD with documentation from your previous state proving that the lienholder possesses the title:

  • Michigan
  • Montana
  • South Dakota
  • Wyoming

Buying or Selling a Vehicle in AL

An Alabama MVD title transfer must take place when a vehicle changes ownership in Alabama. Read below to learn how to complete an AL car title transfer.

Title Transfers when Buying a Vehicle

The process for transferring a title when you buy a car in Alabama differs depending on whether you're purchasing the vehicle from a dealer or a private seller.

Buying from a Dealer

Licensed dealers in Alabama are authorized to process car title transfers themselves. This means that when you buy a car from a dealer, you will have to do little more than sign some papers to get your Alabama title.

Buying from a Private Seller

Take the following steps to complete an Alabama vehicle title transfer when purchasing a car from a private seller:

  • Have the seller assign the title certificate to you by completing all required fields on the certificate.
  • Complete any required fields on the title as the purchaser.
  • Obtain a bill of sale. You are only required to have a bill of sale if no title is required.
    • Each county has its own rules regarding bill of sales, which may include having the document notarized. Contact your county office for more information.
  • Submit the above, including payment for the title transfer fees, to an AL license plate issuing office.

Title Transfers when Selling a Car in Alabama

When you sell your car, the buyer is responsible for completing the DMV title transfer. However, it is your responsibility to do the following:

  • Fill all required fields on the title certificate to assign it to the buyer.
  • Complete a bill of sale.

If you have misplaced your title certificate, you can order a duplicate title.

Gifted Cars in Alabama

The process for gifted car title transfers is similar to when a car is bought and sold between private parties. The person gifting the vehicle acts as the seller, and the recipient is the buyer.

Note that you may be required to have a bill of sale notarized, or provide a gift affidavit. Contact your county MVD office for specific requirements you must meet in your county.

AL Inherited Vehicles

Depending on varying circumstances, completing an Alabama vehicle DMV title transfer for a car you have inherited may involve different steps.

If you have inherited a vehicle that was part of an estate not requiring probate, you can transfer the title to your name by:

Contact the Motor Vehicle Division at (334) 242-9000 for more information about the auto title transfer of an inherited vehicle.

What are the Fees for a Title Transfer?

The following are basic titling fees in Alabama:

  • Title application: $15.
  • Duplicate title: $15.
  • Processing fee: $1.50.

Your county may also charge additional title fees. Contact your county license plate issuing office for more information.

Replacing Your Alabama Title

If you have lost your title certificate, you can apply for a duplicate AL title by completing an Application for Replacement Title (Form MVT-12-1).

Send the completed form along with payment for the $15 replacement title fee (made out to Alabama Department of Revenue) to the address listed on the form. You may also apply for a replacement title at your local license plate issuing office.

0 thoughts on “Reassignment Of Title Or Assignment Of Title By Registered Owner”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *